Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Kung-Fu Mama

Over the last 5 weeks I have embarked on a physical journey that has been about 12 years in the making and wanted to make that a focus of my blog for the next little bit.

Over the last few years I have done gyms, at home work-outs, you name it I probably have at least entertained the idea of trying it.  Like most people I have packed on a few extra pounds since my
early 20's - probably 20 to 30 pounds.  Being so short the added weight has not done my joints any good.
I struggle to make it through a day without Advil or my favorite drug of choice lately- Excedrin.
If I know I am going to be doing a lot of walking I make sure to pre-medicate to avoid the after-math of aches and pains.  I know that the added weight has contributed to the pain as well as a hip replacement that I probably should have had when I was younger.

So fast forward to how I got to today.  Noticing the extra pounds I was putting on as well as Chris, I realized we needed to start making changes.  We were getting in a bad habit of eating and drinking out several nights a week and this just expedited the weight gain.

Leading up to 12/7/15 my knowledge of Kung-Fu has been limited to what I knew through Chris.
When we first met in 2001 I knew that Chris spent a lot of time at "the school" but I didn't really know any specifics about what Kung-Fu was all about.  I just knew that it consumed a lot of his time and to be honest I didn't really understand.  The idea of having a hobby was very foreign to me.  Growing up I never had any hobbies or belonged to any clubs or groups.  I guess in part due to the small, private school setting - there weren't many options.

Over time, Chris slowly gave up Kung-Fu to pursue other hobbies and eventually gave it up all together.
He left the school on good terms and in fact several fellow students and the Instructor (we refer to him as "Sifu") came to our wedding.

When I first thought about mentioning Kung-Fu I knew it would be a serious commitment of our time and money and wasn't sure if I was prepared for that.  But, I knew something had to give so after talking with Chris we stopped by the school and talked to Sifu.   We talked for a bit about some of my limitations and
ultimately decided I would give it a try.

So on 12/7 we started our journey - this time together.

























No comments:

Post a Comment